(Affiliated to G.N.D.U , Amritsar)
Sitemap Contact Us
Baring, a co-
It is a Church related College. The Church of North India, Methodist Church in India,
The Presbyterian Church of Canada, The Presbyterian Church in U.S.A. are its co-
The college is located in Batala (Punjab) on the Batala-
Getting admission in Baring is a matter of great pride as our students not only graduate with excellent academic credentials but also feel a positive transformation taking place in their personality. One of the strongest reasons to choose Baring for pursuing education is the devoted and inspiring faculty with sound scholarship, teaching ability and personal integrity. The college encourages independent study and thought, freedom of discussion and easy access to a world of ideas through its liberal atmosphere.
Over the years Baring has built upon its strong history & legacy by ever striving with perseverance towards achieving the vision of its missionaries “of providing a community of well educated, successfully employed and positively engaged, citizens who can contribute successfully in nation building.”
This institution was started by the well known missionary Rev Henry Francis Baring in April 1878 in the form of a school known as “Baring Boys boarding School”. On April 1st 1878, school started classes in the palace of Late Maharaja Sher Singh, called the Anarkali. On its first day there was only 15 students enrolled in the school, all of which had come with Rev.Francis Henry Baring from Amritsar where he had started his school for the sons of the upper class Indian Christians. The three staff members and the students lived together in the Anarkali thus what was once a country palace for a Maharaja, now become a school with dormitories, classrooms and Chapel. The beginnings were made for the establishment of western education in Batala town and tehsil.
The period of 1934 to 1948 is one of transition in the development of Baring High School to Baring Union Christian College, Mr. John Emmanuel Shukla as the first Indian Principal of the school. Mr. Khushal Singh came to Batala with a mandate from the Church Missionary Society to establish a college at Batala by further upgrading the Baring High School to an intermediate college and became the first Principal.
On 29th June, 1944, Baring Union Christian College came into existence when the District and sessions Judges of Gurdaspur, Mr. S.Burke, ICS, cut the ribbon at the Anarkali and the first boys and girls enrolled in the college filled the main building, which once had housed exclusively the sons of the upper class Christian families of the Punjab. There were at the time of its inception in 1944 about 75 students predominantly from Hindu, Muslim and Sikh background. The number of resident students in the college also continued to rise as the college came to be recognized increasingly in the Punjab.
The partition left Baring College the only Christian college in East Punjab. In 1947-
© 2012 BUCC, Batala. All Rights Reserved.